Monday, February 17, 2014

Chocolate-Coconut-Nutty Granola

Like Laurel and Elin, I find that some of my all-time-favorite foods are from recipes that I sort of stumbled upon and then tweaked to my taste. One of those is my go-to breakfast: homemade chocolate/coconut/nutty granola.

I found the original recipe in an advertisement/coupon booklet from Kroger, a local supermarket. (They credit the recipe to Chef Caitlin Steininger.) I made it and liked it, but I felt like I could spruce it up to make it both more nutritious and delicious. To be honest, I can't give you a rundown on its nutritional values, but it is made up of simple, healthy ingredients. And since it is made from scratch, it has no preservatives, and you have the flexibility to adjust it to your individual taste. For example, by choosing milk-free chocolate chips and leaving out the wheat germ, Elin was able to adapt it to her gluten/soy/dairy free diet.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two large cookie sheets with foil.

In a large bowl, mix together:

8 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds
1/2 cup wheat germ
(You can also throw in flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or anything else that sounds crunchy and delicious.)

In a small bowl, stir together:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey (I soften the honey for a few seconds in the microwave to make it easier to mix with the oil.)

Pour over oatmeal mixture and stir well. Spoon granola onto cookie sheets and spread evenly.





Bake for 16 to 20 minutes. (In my oven, 18 minutes is perfect. I am able to cook both pans at once by rotating the pans between the lower and upper racks at the 9 minute mark.)

While the granola is cooking, measure out 3/4 to 1 cup mini, semi-sweet chocolate chips. (You can use regular size chips and chop them up; using the minis just saves you a step.)

When the granola comes out of the oven, carefully pour/scrape the granola from one of the cookie sheets back into the original bowl. Stir in half the chocolate chips. Add the second pan of granola and the rest of the chips. Stir.

Chocolate-Coconut-Nutty Granola


Let cool. Store in an airtight container. Add milk (or not) and enjoy!

Chocolate-Coconut-Nutty Granola




No comments :

Post a Comment