Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Fluffiest, Tastiest Pumpkin Pancakes Ever!

Yesterday morning I woke up craving some delicious Chunky Monkey Pancakes (they have mashed up bananas and chocolate chips in them and you serve them with peanut butter syrup!). I usually make them with whole wheat flour and they are still amazing. As I finished mixing the batter and was about to mash up a banana and chop up some chocolate chips, I realized 2 things: We didn't have any bananas (my husband had eaten the last one for breakfast), and I had used white flour instead of wheat.

I was SOOOOO devastated. Not only were my dreams of Chunky Monkey pancakes dashed, now I had some pancake batter whipped up that was made with white flour. Don't get me wrong, I love me some good white flour pancakes. But I try not to indulge myself too often. If I can make it with whole wheat and it tastes good, then that's how I do it.

After a little bit of reflection, I decided I was going to put in a cup of pureed pumpkin, hoping it would add some flavor and a little bit of healthiness. And by golly, the end result was pure magic. (Has anyone else started making pumpkin treats yet? At the first sign of cool weather, I broke out my canned pumpkin and made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. You better believe it.)


But I am telling you, if you are craving pumpkin pancakes, this is the recipe for you. Eat them with some homemade syrup or just slather butter on them. Either way, they are the lightest, fluffiest, most delicious pancakes you will ever eat.

The Best Pumpkin Pancakes

1 1/2 cups white flour
3 Tbs sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk (add 1 Tbl of white vinegar or lemon juice to the milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbl canola oil
1 large egg
1 cup pureed pumpkin

Combine dry ingredients. Then add the wet ingredients (except for the pumpkin) and whisk until combined. Add the pumpkin and stir until combined.

Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Pour pancakes on hot griddle. When bubbles form and edges are set, flip pancakes and cook through.

Adapted from Chunky Monkey Pancakes recipe on ourbestbites.com.

Enjoy with this easy, breezy homemade syrup recipe:

Homemade syrup

Combine 1 cup brown sugar with 1/2 cup water in small saucepan. Heat until it boils. Remove from heat and serve with delicious pumpkin pancakes.

I know it sounds crazy, but that is all you have to do to make a good syrup. It is runnier than store-bought syrup or syrup made with corn syrup....but it is just as tasty in my opinion.

Happy Autumn!


No comments :

Post a Comment